Jump to Navigation
Subscribe to this blog’s feed Are You in Need of Expert Legal Representation? Contact Us For A Consultation. (201) 467-4180

McCurrie McCurrie
& McCurrie, L.L.C.

680 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032-3010
Phone: (201) 467-4180
Fax: (201) 997-9567
Kearny Law Office Map
email firm here

Bold labels are required.

Please note that First AND/OR Last Name, and Email AND/OR Phone are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Millions of dollars in unpaid child support owed in New Jersey

When married couples go their separate ways, there are several issues that must be examined and addressed. Property is divided and spousal support may be awarded. Child custody is determined and this is often followed by an amount that must be paid by the noncustodial parent in child support. According to the Department of Human Services in New Jersey, this figure is determined after examining the incomes of both parents and the expenses that the child generates.

Once these values are reviewed, the courts calculate a figure to be paid to the custodial parent, usually on a monthly basis. In many cases, this payment is drawn out of the noncustodial parent's paycheck, but some judges allow different arrangements for making the payments. Some parents fail to meet the support requirement -- this may be due to many different reasons, such as resentment of a former spouse or maybe unemployment.

Recently, a 34-year-old man from Phillipsburg, New Jersey, was taken into custody for reportedly owing $110,823 in back child support. He is among a small group of noncustodial parents in New Jersey that owe more than $100,000. According to data, this group makes up 0.74 percent of the child support cases in the state, or 2,223 cases. In total, there are 299,238 child support cases in New Jersey and approximately $226 million is owed.

Whether you are unable to pay for support or are struggling to receive it, an attorney may be able to assist you in your plight. Lawyers that focus on family law have seen this sort of situation before, especially since the recession. Assistance can be provided and it is likely that you will be satisfied much quicker than if you acted on your own because the legal system can be extremely confusing to navigate, particularly in regards to divorce and child support.

Source: Lehigh Valley Live, "Man arrested in Phillipsburg for allegedly owing more than $110,000 in child support," Kathryn Brenzel, March 18, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information