Jump to Navigation
Subscribe to this blog’s feed Are You in Need of Expert Legal Representation? Contact Us For A Consultation. (201) 467-4180

McCurrie McCurrie
& McCurrie, L.L.C.

680 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032-3010
Phone: (201) 467-4180
Fax: (201) 997-9567
Kearny Law Office Map
email firm here

Bold labels are required.

Please note that First AND/OR Last Name, and Email AND/OR Phone are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Some spouses will do everything they can to extend court time

If one woman's story is any sort of precedent for other divorce cases, it is likely that couples in Jersey City, New Jersey, have found themselves fighting over child support. According to her, women might get custody but they often get the short end of the stick when it comes to child support and alimony awards. This tends to leave men with a better financial outlook but less custody or visitation time.

During this woman's divorce, the major conflict involved the amount of child support she should receive. It seemed that every time she went to court to hash out this issue, the judge would say that they would revisit it in three months without any sort of requirements for either party. The issue culminated when, after countless court visits, the woman filed for a government increase to the current child support payments. The papers she filed asked her ex-husband if he would be applying for custody of any minor children and this time, he said that he would be.

This left her in a terrible position. Either she would pursue an increase to child support while he sought custody -- adding to court costs -- or he would rescind his desire for custody if she did not seek an increased amount for support. The amount of frustration one would feel in such a situation could be overwhelming. Eventually, she backed off, letting her ex get away with coaxing her into allowing him to keep his money. But instead of letting herself feel subdued, she looked at it in a different way: If he wants to keep his money instead of feeding his kids, that's his issue, not hers.

If you are involved in a child support or child custody dispute, you will likely need the assistance of an attorney. It is possible that these issues could be settled out of court if you and your former spouse are capable of meeting and hashing out an agreeable plan for both of you.

Source:  Huffington Post, "Divorce Court; Really in the Best Interest of the Child?" Debbie Burgin, Jun. 17, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information