Jump to Navigation
Subscribe to this blog’s feed Are You in Need of Expert Legal Representation? Contact Us For A Consultation. (201) 467-4180

McCurrie McCurrie
& McCurrie, L.L.C.

680 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032-3010
Phone: (201) 467-4180
Fax: (201) 997-9567
Kearny Law Office Map
email firm here

Bold labels are required.

Please note that First AND/OR Last Name, and Email AND/OR Phone are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Child support is not a permanent fixture

Ex-spouses in New Jersey are not strangers to child support issues. After divorcing, one of the parents may have received primary custody while the other was given secondary rights. This noncustodial parent was likely tasked with paying child support, especially if she or he made a considerable amount of money at the time. By paying this each month, the spouse tasked with support is giving money to help raise her or his child. In some cases, this may come in lieu of emotional support as a parent.

Even though this money is designed to assist the custodial parent, some experts believe that it is best for this spouse to work toward living without it. This can give the individual the ability to save a considerable amount of money for those periods where times get tough. After a divorce is complete, there are a number of ways that life can get much harder. New costs are incurred and account for a higher percentage of your income than it did when you were married. Your ex may decide not to pay child support this month and, if you have been saving, you are able to consider the option of filing a complaint with the court.

But if the noncustodial party has lost her or his job and is struggling to make payments, you may be heading to court for another reason: support modification. Substantial changes in income that last six months or longer can result in different support requirements. If a parent loses her or his job, custodial or otherwise, the amount of support will likely be changed if the former couple heads back to court. The same goes for situations involving major changes in custody. Anyone involved in a child support or child custody dispute should discuss the matter with a legal professional who specializes in family law.

The Gazette, "IT'S YOUR MONEY: Flexibility is key with child support and alimony" Linda Leitz, Jul. 15, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information