Jump to Navigation
Subscribe to this blog’s feed Are You in Need of Expert Legal Representation? Contact Us For A Consultation. (201) 467-4180

McCurrie McCurrie
& McCurrie, L.L.C.

680 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032-3010
Phone: (201) 467-4180
Fax: (201) 997-9567
Kearny Law Office Map
email firm here

Bold labels are required.

Please note that First AND/OR Last Name, and Email AND/OR Phone are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Writing protection clauses for trusts and guardianships

In planning their estates, many New Jersey residents choose to protect their minor children by creating a trust and naming a guardian. A trust can ensure that at some point a minor child receives the funds from the trust, and naming a guardian ensures that a specific person will take guardianship of a minor child in the event that something happens to the parents. A guardianship or conservatorship may also be established if an estate owner becomes incapacitated and unable to handle matters of the estate.

With a trust, a trustee has to be named to manage the fund in accordance with the terms of the trust. As is the case when choosing a guardian for a minor child or a child with special needs, the person you name as a trustee should be someone who is trustworthy and capable. Unfortunately, though, sometimes a trustee or guardian proves untrustworthy, and it is important to have legal language in place to remove and replace that individual.

Estate owners can prevent future family conflicts by including a power-to-remove clause in the trust. It may also be a good idea to have an attorney include an accounting clause that requires the trustee to provide details regarding taxes, distributions, investments and other trust-related issues.

A trustee clause or a guardianship clause can be included in a will, and an estate planning attorney can help draft such clauses in such a way as to ensure their validity in the event that an unforeseen dispute arises.

Source: NJ.com, "Your Legal Corner: Selecting a guardian or trustee," Victoria M. Dalton, Jan. 19, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information